Posted by Erin
In honor of my little sister, who is about to have her first child, I thought I would put together a Top 10 List: Things I Wish I Had Known.
10. Buy a good washer/dryer. The amount of laundry that one infant dirties violates every law of physics and matter…it multiplies exponentially.
9. Don’t tiptoe or whisper around the baby, even when she’s sleeping. Infants can sleep (ha!) through anything, and if you start off with a silent house, you will end up watching reality t.v. with headphones on because your toddler can only sleep when it’s “library quiet.”
8. Be specific when people ask how they can help. Take advantage of the offer to do a load of laundry, or prepare a meal.
7. Shower, every day. Just do it. You’ll feel better.
6. Plan for the unexpected, and roll with it. Even if your birth plan includes using hypnosis and a birthing ball [...]
It’s Okay to Talk About It
Posted by G.I. Jane
I read an article on NPR yesterday that talked about the difficulties of parenthood and how admittance of this fact comes with the stigma that you aren’t normal or are an unfit parent. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s okay to talk about it, and more importantly, it’s okay to feel beat down by the whole experience.
My daughter is eight months old and I’m still “mourning my pre-mommy” life as Martha calls it. The memories of being able to get up and go somewhere – alone! – or do things around the house without an infant needing my constant attention are still fresh. Last week I was able to walk to the liquor store by myself to get a bottle of wine on a beautiful evening and I felt an indescribable feeling of freedom in those short 15 minutes.
Monday, however, was a day when I questioned [...]
Teeny Weeny Bikini for Baby?
Posted by G.I. Jane
My husband and I decided to enroll our five-month-old daughter in a swim class this summer – more for the sake of a fun family activity than the need to teach a five month old how to swim. So we were left with the task of finding two things: swim diapers and a bathing suit.
Swim diapers were easy…check. Finding a bathing suit, technically, was easy but while looking I found something a bit disturbing: string bikinis for babies? I personally have no problem with a two-piece bathing suit for my infant daughter – the sight of her milk belly and little bellybutton makes my heart melt – but a string bikini? With small triangles tops covering non-existent lady parts? And strings holding up the bottoms? Is it just me [...]